Mid Week blog #16 Using strips for backgrounds

 Hello and welcome to my mid week blog,

These mid week blogs are designed to be shorter than my Sunday blogs so that I can share techniques, card design or other tips and tricks with you. This weeks topic is how to use strips of DSP to create backgrounds or mattes for cards. Nearly everyone that makes their own cards will end up with strips & offcuts from projects & rather than throw them out, here's an easy way to create unique card fronts!


As you can see from the photo above, strips are a great way to create a variety of different cards. Now here's a little info on how I made each card front.

This card front started off with a scrap of Beauty of the Earth DSP measuring 9 x7.5cm. I cut it into 3 equal strips then backed them with co-ordinating cardstock.



I had a few strips of this stunning blue Beauty of the Earth DSP & cut them into random widths. Some are raised on dimensionals, the rest are glued straight onto a piece of Basic White which had been embossed with the new Hive embossing folder.



This is the start of a technique called 'Scrappy Strip' which was very popular in 2021 thanks to a Youtube video by Bruno Bertucci in Australia.

This is the next stage of the Scrappy Strip card front where all of the strips are glued onto a matte before being tidied up & trimmed to the desired size.

Here's how I used the matte on a card base.




All that's left to do now is stamp & affix the sentiment & any embellishments & the cards are done. I will be showing the fully completed cards in my regular Sunday blog including the materials used. 

I hope you enjoyed this blog & come back to see more next week. My theme for next weeks Mid Week blog will show you how to use DSP in your projects. Hope you can join me for that too.
Thanks for popping in. Take care & keep creating!  XX Alison

Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174