Mid Week Blog Series #7 - Cutaway card front

 Hello & welcome to my mid week blog,

These mid week blogs are designed to be shorter than my Sunday blogs so that I can share techniques, card designs or other tips and tricks with you. This week I will show you how to create some fun fold cards with a cutaway front.


To create this card I used 1/2 a sheet of Flirty Flamingo cardstock in the portrait style & die cut part of the front away to leave a cute border pattern. A small piece of DSP gives some contrast.

For the partially covered front & the inside of the card I used another half piece of cardstock but this time in Basic White. I stamped one sentiment & some foliage on the 'front' of the card which will show the bottom design when closed. When the card is fully ope you see the second sentiment with a few small leaf designs plus a large area for a personal message. This piece is attached to the base in the reverse of a normal easel card so that it folds down to open, giving the card 3 distinct areas. I love it.


 The second card was a little more detailed. I started with a piece of Granny Apple Green cardstock, cut to 29.7 x 14.8. This was scored at 9.9 & 19.8.


To create the top cutaway corners I positioned the right scoreline along the ridge of the trimmer & pivoted the right edge along the side of the trimmer until it reached the outside edge then cut away that piece, approx. 4.5cm. I then flipped it over & repeated the same on the left panel of the card. For the side cutaway I used the same method but positioned the angled edge in the trimmer ridge & cut away a smaller angle, approx. 2.5cm. To create the gorgeous side panels I trimmed some beautiful Expressions in Ink DSP to fit by cutting 2 strips of 14.3 x 9.4cm. I used the same cutaway method but positioned it just a little further over on the trimmer to allow a strip of cardstock to show. And then repeat the same process with some white cardstock. I finished the inside of the card with a little blending in the centre for the sentiment to be stamped on & a few images to decorate. For the ribbon tie & stuck two strips of ribbon down before I adhered the DSP down to the front of the card. I stamped 'Sending Hugs' on white cardstock before diecutting a label from the Ornate Layers dies & attached a fussy cut flower. The stamp set is Floral Gallery but goes perfectly with the Expressions in Ink DSP I think.

I love how different these two cards are and especially love the colours of the Expressions in Ink card. This was sent to a work colleague who is unwell to try to cheer her up.
I hope you've enjoyed this quick & easy layout & will try something like it yourself. If you do I would love you to post pictures on my FaceBook page at CraftedbyAlison.
Thanks for popping by, I hope you can come back again next week when I show some Z - fold cards I have made. Have a great week & enjoy your crafting. XX Alison








Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174