Mid Week blog #42 Scrappy Chevron technique

Hello & welcome to my Mid Week blog,

I am an independant Stampin' Up® demonstrator with a passion for creating. I have a regular weekly blog on a Sunday that explores different stamp sets, die sets or products sold by Stampin' Up® and my Mid Week blog explores tips, techniques, card sketches, colour challenges & lots of other ideas to help you make the most of your crafting time. There are ideas for 'just starting out' crafters, 'in-betweeners' and more avid crafters. 

This week I will show you how to use up some of those little scraps of DSP & cardstock that, if you're like me, you've saved because you don't like to waste. The technique is similar to the Scrappy Strips technique I showed in my Mid Week blog #16 on January 26th 2022 but instead of covering the entire card front this technique makes a pattern with the strips that only covers a part of the base. Here is my feature card.

 
This card uses different sized scraps of Splendid Day DSP along with some stamped & diecut images from Splendid Thoughts & Splendid dies. I stamped an outline on the white space of the card base then added some diecut images using dimensionals. The sentiment is stamped in Fresh Freesia & Highland Heather using the Biggest Wish stamp set. I love that set! It was then diecut using the Tasteful Labels dies. A couple of gems around the card & it was finished. The next design was inspired by Lisa Curcio from Lisa's Stamp Studio. 


Using some retired Lily Impressions DSP strips, all the same width I layered them across the bottom half of the card. Some Fresh Freesia was blended towards the top over which the sentiment from the Tranquil Thoughts stamp set which was stamped in Gorgeous Grape & diecut using the Tasteful Labels dies. And of course there's a couple of gems to complete it!

Here are some examples of using strips in different ways to create unique & beautiful cards.
The two on the left are original creations & featured in my blog on January 26th this year. The centre card is slightly different to my others as the strips of DSP were layered over an embossed background. The design on the right was inspired by Bruno Bertucci who created some amazing cards this way. 

To make cards using strip scraps I have found it easier to make the strip design on one piece of cards first then glue the completed matte to the card base. To achieve this type of card you simply choose which type of pattern you want then glue strips down in whichever design you prefer, leaving some hanging over the edges of the matte. From there you trim the edges once the glue has dried & your matte is ready for your card base. 

 

Here are some pictures of the process I used for the card on the left. 


So that brings us to the end of another Mid Week blog. I hope you've enjoyed learning how to use your left over strips. I'd love to see any creations you make using this technique so please feel free to head over to my FaceBook page, craftedbyalison, & post a pic. My next blog is on Sunday & uses a freebie from the current Sale-A-Bration promotion. It's a pack of card bases & envelopes in Soft Sea Foam & Pool Party colours. They are perfect to make so many different creations & go well with many different ink colours. Next week's Mid Week blog will show you how to make a pop up greeting card. I hope you can come back for both of them. 
Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you have time this week to do some creating of your own. Til next time, take care & keep creating. XX Alison






Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174