Mid Week blog #47 - Colouring directly onto stamps

Hello & welcome to my Mid Week blog,

I am an independant Stampin' Up® demonstrator with a passion for creating. I have a regular weekly blog on a Sunday that explores different stamp sets, die sets or products sold by Stampin' Up® and my Mid Week blog explores tips, techniques, card sketches, colour challenges & lots of other ideas to help you make the most of your crafting time. There are ideas for 'just starting out' crafters, 'in-betweeners' and more avid crafters.  

This week's focus is how to colour directly onto your stamps using the Stampin' Write© markers. (All the info I have read says to use the Stampin' Write© markers rather than the Stampin' Blends© as the blends are alcohol based which may damage your stamps.) This type of colouring is a handy technique if you want to create with more than one colour & works really well with outline stamps but also looks good with solid image stamps. I've got a mixture of both to show you this week. I hope you like what I've created.

For my first sample I chose the Painted Poppies stamp set as there are some lovely simple line drawn images to use. As I don't have all the Stampin' Write© colours I chose Sweet Sorbet, Terracotta Tile, Pale Papaya & Starry Sky as my colours & these were selected after searching up the colours of poppies & finding that there are loads of different colours in the world! 

After testing a few of the colours I then narrowed it down to just the Terracotta Tile & Starry Sky with Evening Evergreen for the stems.

The next step was to use the fine tip of the markers to carefully colour the shape of the flowers & stems. As the colour will dry slightly between the addition of each colour you have to use the 'huffing' technique to re-wet the ink before stamping. I pressed down firmly to ensure that all of the colour was transferred to the cardstock.

The next step was to use some Garden Green ink with a blending brush to create a 'grassy' area behind the flowers.

I continued on with the Painted Poppies stamp set, choosing a single stem this time. I used Sweet Sorbet for the main section of the flower with Pale Papaya for the centre. I kept Evening Evergreen for the stem & leaf.


For the third image I chose Honeybee home stamp set with Parakeet Party & Polished Pink markers.
 

The result for this image was a slightly distressed or water colour finish. I like the delicacy of the final image though.
For the final stamping I chose a new stamp set called Amazing Phrasing which is a sentiments only set with 2 different sized fonts for the sentiment & Color & Contour stamp set for some 'confetti' behind the sentiment.

 

When the wording was stamped it came out with a slightly watercolour effect. I think this is due to the stamps being photopolymer rather than rubber as the ink was spreading when I applied it. I chose to outline the words with a black marker to highlight the shape then decided to jazz it up a little with the dotty splatter stamp from Color & Contour.

The dotty splatters were all coloured individually before huffing then stamping. It took a little more time to create this look but I really like the explosion of colours on this piece.

It was fun colouring & stamping this week. I hope you enjoyed looking at this technique with me. If you try this for yourself I would love to see any creations you make so please feel free to pop an image on my FaceBook page, CraftedbyAlison.

Thanks so much for popping in today. My next blog is on Sunday & features a Christmas stamp set from the Annual Catalogue called Trimming the Tree. I know it's a little early for Christmas but it's September tomorrow & if you have a lot of cards to make or need to send some overseas then you have to plan ahead. I also chose this stamp set as there is a special on at Stampin' Up® where they are releasing dies to match a few stamp sets but only for the month of September. The Trimming the Tree set is one of them. All the info will be in Sunday's blog. 

That's it from me for now. Til next time, take care & keep creating! XX Alison


Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174