Mid Week Blog Series #5 - Envelope fold cards

 Hello & welcome to my mid week blog,

These mid week blogs are designed to be shorter than my Sunday blogs so that I can share techniques, card designs or other tips and tricks with you. This week I will show you how to create cards that open much like an envelope either as a fun fold or to hold a message or gift card inside.

The first card is a cross between a gate fold & an envelope. 


When closed it looks like the back of an envelope. The card base is made from a piece of 12 x 12 cardstock, scored at 3" & 9" on 2 sides with a notch at the 6" mark. This is where you cut to make the 'mountain' cut for the triangular, front folding flaps. Here are photos of the steps it took to achieve this result....


I wanted to keep the DSP consistent throughout the card so I used the reverse of some & kept the theme of peaches & blooms on the front & inside.


Once I'd finished adding DSP to all of the flaps I added 2 more triangles to the front of the card & mounted the sentiment over the top triangle. So that the card would fold flat I added a small glue dot which will lift when you want to open the card. This design is based on some cards I found on Pinterest but I tweaked it to be slightly different.

The second envelope fold is made with 3 sections & a flap opening but could easily be stuck down to use as a gift card holder. 
I scored the card so that it would have 3 distinct sections then scored a notch in the centre of the top flap & just like in the first card I cut away to the sides so that the front looked like the fold of an envelope.

I decorated the front with some of the cute pets from the Sweet Little Stockings stamp set & some greenery before mounting them for a 3D effect. The sentiment fits perfectly in the centre.

To hold the flap down I simply die cut some holly, adhered onto a little scrap of white card then mounted it so that the flap slips inside.

Both these cards were relatively simple to make but are a little different to the usual portrait or landscape design. I hope you like them & will give envelope cards a try.

If you would like any more information about making these cards please send me a message & I'll send you the details. If you would like to purchase them then pop over to my FaceBook shop at Crafted by Alison.

Thanks for popping by, I hope you can join me for my regular blog on Sunday where I will be showing more cards made with the Sweet Little Stockings stamp set.
Next week my midweek blog will show you a sponging technique that will give you 2 cards for the price of one! Hope you can make it. 
See you soon, XX Alison




Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Supremely Awesome stamp set makes awesome & cute projects.