Mid Week blog #46 - Faux Twisted Ribbon technique

  Hello & welcome to my Mid Week blog,

I am an independant Stampin' Up® demonstrator with a passion for creating. I have a regular weekly blog on a Sunday that explores different stamp sets, die sets or products sold by Stampin' Up® and my Mid Week blog explores tips, techniques, card sketches, colour challenges & lots of other ideas to help you make the most of your crafting time. There are ideas for 'just starting out' crafters, 'in-betweeners' and more avid crafters. 

This week I look at a technique I saw in a Lisa Curcio Youtube video. Using DSP strips she created a faux twisted ribbon effect & I loved it so much I really wanted to give it a try. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Here's the finished card & below are some instructions on how I made it.

I cut Sweet Sorbet & Basic White cardstock along with Sweet Sorbet DSP as per the following picture....

and here's them again in case you can't see them very well. 

Sweet Sorbet - 14.8 x 16.5cm, scored at 6cm.

Basic White - 1. 14.2 x 6cm (insert for the inside of the card)

2. 14.8 x 4cm (for the faux twisted ribbon technique)

3. 14.2 x3.5cm (for the scalloped edge of the card front)

4. 6.7 x 6.7cm (for the front image)

Parakeet Party - 7.2 x 7.2cm (to matte the stamped image.)

DSP - 1.5cm strips. 2 each of 2 designs.

## After I had placed all the pieces of the card together I decided to add a small matte of Basic Black cardstock (7.6 x 7.6cm) to give it a little 'pop'.

Using the Thanks embossing folder from the Thanks & Hello set I embossed the top of the card front. I also used the Scalloped die from Scalloped Contours dies to create the scalloped edge for the card front.

The next step was creating the Twisted Ribbon effect. Using the 14.8 x 4cm piece of Basic White I marked along both edges in 1.5cm intervals.

With one pattern of the DSP strips I glued them down diagonally, using the marks as a guide.

 

The second pattern is then glued in the opposite direction.

 

The next step was to create the stamped image. As the new In Colours are so rich & pretty I chose Parakeet Party & Sweet Sorbet for the floral image from Bottled Happiness. This was then matted with Parakeet Party & after a little thought, a second matte of black.


Before attaching the scalloped edging I stamped the sentiment from On the Horizon in Memento Black & wrapped some White Crinkled seam binding ribbon along the edge of the card front.
The stamped image was then attached.


The final step was to attach the Twisted Ribbon piece inside the card along with the plain white piece for writing a personal message. 

That's all I have for you this week. I hope you've enjoyed seeing this lovely technique. My next blog is on Sunday & features a more cards using the embossing folder that I used on this card. Next week's mid week blog looks at how to colour directly onto stamps to create stamped images rather than using a stamp pad. I hope you can join me for both of them.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed my blog. Take care til next time & keep creating!
XX Alison










Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174

3D creations - gift boxes