Mid Week blog #45 Dutch Barn Door fancy fold

 Hello & welcome to my Mid Week blog,

I am an independant Stampin' Up® demonstrator with a passion for creating. I have a regular weekly blog on a Sunday that explores different stamp sets, die sets or products sold by Stampin' Up® and my Mid Week blog explores tips, techniques, card sketches, colour challenges & lots of other ideas to help you make the most of your crafting time. There are ideas for 'just starting out' crafters, 'in-betweeners' and more avid crafters. 

In today's blog I will show you a fancy fold that is known as a Dutch barn door. This style of card is quite easy to make but gives a bit of WOW. 

I love how easy it was to make this card & especially love the colour combinations. I'll now take you step by step through how I made it.


Step 1. Cut the card base 22.8 x 10.5cm & score at 8cm. 
Cut the 'flaps or doors' 21 x 8cm and score at 5.2 & 15.8cm.


Step 2. Adhere the flap piece behind the card base ensuring the flaps can fold comfortably without affecting the card.


Step 3. Cut DSP pattern #1 as follows - 1 piece 10 x 7.5cm & 2 pieces 4.7 x 7.5cm. This will be the first mattes for the front top & flaps.
Cut DSP pattern #2 as follows - 1 piece 7.5 x 7cm & 2 pieces 4.2 x 7cm. These pieces will be the second mattes for the front top & flaps.


Step 4. Cut DSP#1 10 x 14.3cm. Cut Basic White 9.5 x 13.8cm. These will be for the inside of the card.
Using a co-ordinating cardstock to diecut a matte for the detail piece on the front of the card. Using Basic White cardstock diecut a smaller oval. I used 2 ovals from the Stitched Shapes dies.


Step 5. Cut DSP#1 10 x 7.1cm. Cut Basic White 10.5 x 6.8cm. These pieces will be used on the reverse of the card.


Step 5. Using Stampin' Write markers colour your chosen image for the front oval, inside white matte & reverse white matte. The trick to using the markers directly onto stamps is to use each colour one at a time & then 'huff' on them to re-wet the inks before stamping. Huffing is simply holding the stamp close to your mouth then huffing (or puffing) onto it a few times. The moisture that comes out when you huff is enough to wet the ink for stamping.

Now the fun part. Assembling! Adhere all the pieces front of the card together in their pairs & then to the card. 
Adhere the inside mattes together then to the inside of the card.
Flip the card over & adhere the Basic White at the top & the DSP at the bottom.
Adhere the larger oval ONLY where it will meet the card. Any adhesive that goes below will stick to the inside of the card so be sure you line it up correctly. I held the oval in the position I wanted then flipped it over carefully & lightly marked it with a pencil. After placing the adhesive I then rubbed out the line.
Attach some dimensionals to the small image before placing it on the larger oval.
As you can see in the last photo, I stamped a 'created by' stamp on the back DSP as I do this on all of my creations. This is one of the Limited Edition stamps.


The final step will be to add a sentiment. I will probably add it to the front of the card either on the oval image or adhered to the left side of the bottom 'gates'. Not sure if I'll add any bling. I think I'll make that decision when I decide to use the card.
 
Now, one of the beautiful aspects about this card is that the DSP was free with purchases I made during the Stampin' Up® current Sale-a-bration promotion! Love a freebie! 
I've tried to keep the instructions as simple as possible, hence the photos showing each step. I hope you find this easy to follow.
My next blog is on Sunday & features a card CASE'd from a Stampin' Up® catalogue. Next week's mid week blog looks at how to make use of DSP strips to make a faux Twisted Ribbon effect. I hope you can join me for both of them.
Thanks so much for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed my blog. Take care til next time & keep creating!
XX Alison


Comments

Popular posts

Mid week blog #99 - Square tri-fold fun fold

New creations with He's All That

Calendars & Christmas cards

3D creations - gift boxes

Tic Tac Toe challenge #174